Friday, January 28, 2011

Radiation Update

It's Day 14 in my 15 day cycle of radiation.  Oddly, the first week was the worst.  And the last week is the best.  I started vomiting on the second day, two hours after treatment.  No one (but me) thought it could be related to the radiation.  It's too low (at L2-L5) or side affects don't start that soon or whatever.  But Thursday I didn't get in until 2:30 for my zapping, and then I threw up at 4:30.  Friday, I got in at 2:00, got sick at 4:00, just like Tuesday and Wednesday.  So, luckily, it was a 3 day weekend, and I got 3 days to recover.  Unfortunately, it was a 3 day weekend, and I had to go to the ER because all the barfing got me dehydrated and a bladder infection.  Last time that happened, I was in the hospital for 5 days with a severe kidney infection.  We missed my husband's family reunion vacation at the last minute, where Charlie's ashes are.  I'll cry if I think about that too long.

So, at the ER I got lots of fluids, antibiotics and pain meds.  And I got to go home.  That was the best part. And getting in went very smoothly thanks to my guardian angel nurse case manager, Mariann.  You see, I have her cell number.  Somehow, these doctor people like to give us their cells, and we use them whenever we need them.  And they don't seem to mind helping us.  Of course, we only call in an emergency.  Like, drop whatever you are doing and help me right now, kind of emergency.  I thank God for them.

I just can't get this being sick thing down.  This can't be the reason for my being.  It seems to define me more and more.  Prayers are appreciated.

God is love.

2 comments:

  1. You have my prayers, Pam. I'm so sorry you have to suffer this terrible illness. May God give you the stength and courage to endure and eventually be cured. Love, Linda Alvarado

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there, my friend! You're illness does not define you, GOD does. And what a creation He has made in you. Be comforted in that :) Love to you!

    pat

    ReplyDelete