Saturday, November 12, 2011

So much for a good hair day

I had an oncology appointment a few days ago.  I will be starting CVD infusion chemo December 15.  The doctor told us we could pick when we want to start, so we decided to wait until after Thanksgiving with everyone coming to my house, and strategically picked 12/15 so that my week of sickness will be over by the time Christmas Eve rolls around.  We could have even waited until January, but things are starting to sizzle and a slow burn is going around in my body.  I can feel it, and the doctor can see it.  There were several things for both me and the doctor that prompted the return to chemo.  Weight loss; I can't seem to gain any weight even with all the pasta and ice cream.  But I can fit into some really cool clothes.  And I have my own personal shopper (Kassy) who tries to keep me up to date and fashionable, and even picked out some stuff for me that will be comfy and fabulous for my long chemo sessions. Catecholamines ("cats"); the nasty stuff the tumors secrete, they are rising.  They have been for several months.  More cats, more tumors, more tumors that are active.  There is a concerning spot that is new and adjacent to C2 in the soft tissue.  That's a little too close to my brain for my comfort.  Which leads to:  new tumors.  I have a few new tumors, but also a few less.  The new ones appear to be the troublemakers, but there's no way to know for sure, that I know of.

So, doc basically said (I think) that I didn't have to do chemo at all if I didn't want to.  I could live my life in my current manner, enjoy my family, do some traveling, and get on with the rest of my life, no matter how much is left.  Or, go with the chemo, get through the next however many months, and pray that it works again.  It was about this time two years ago that we started this chemo journey.  And I will lose my hair again.  Which is ironic, since I just wrote about finally have a good hair day.  God surely has a sense of humor.  And so do I.




God is love.

No comments:

Post a Comment