Thursday, December 22, 2011

Chemo, Round 2

I apologize to my loyal friends for not updating you sooner.  Today is Cycle 2, Day 3.  I just had two infusion days of CVD chemotherapy.  Today is the first day I'm sick, so I thought; self, just take all your meds and sit down and write.  This should be interesting, if nothing else.

First things first, when we found out we had to start chemo, we initially thought we could put it off until January, you know, be in control, deal with these tumors on our terms. (my doc has wanted me to start for several months now.)  Guffaw! My advice to my cancer friends is do not think for a second that you are the one in control.  Long story short, I was feeling worse and worse physically, and I called my husband and said, "why are we waiting to start chemo again?" He didn't know either, so we got the appointments set up, holidays or not.

So my precious family came down for Thanksgiving and we had a lovely Mexican themed dinner, and went Black Friday shopping at Midnight or some horrible time, and got lots of goodies, and most important, great bonding time with my sisters and my girl, and her cousins and my nieces.

Back to me, we promptly started chemo November 29, 30, and the recovery being one of the worst, I had been dreading this next cycle.  I saw my oncologist this week, Monday, and we went over the options, and came up with getting a 25% less dose, hoping the side effects will also be less by at least 25%.  He also explained that having chemo two years ago, and then coming back to the same dose weighing in 35 pounds less could certainly make the first cycle much worse.  He tried to soothe me into thinking recovery this time will be much easier.  Today, day 3, by 10:00 a.m., I was already crying because I needed to throw up.  Then my husband left to get me some more meds, since I forgot to refill the Zofran.  And I have the most wonderful chemo buddies.  Thank you so much!

My hair fell out a lot faster this time around, also.  Clumps were coming out.  I went to my hair lady, and she tried to cut it short, but it just kept coming out in her hands.  So she got out her clippers and buzzed off the rest.






God is love.

2 comments:

  1. First, I love you and pray for you always! Second, hang in there! I can't imagine how difficult this is, but you are soooo strong that you will make it through this. Third, you have a good looking head (smile). Lastly, I am here whenever you need me. Just keep me posted. XOXO-Dana

    ReplyDelete